The Main Exhibtion Building

This is the Main Exhibition Building from Philadelphia’s 1876 Centennial Exhibition depicted in Chapter 19 of From Blue Ground. 

Main Building


The Main Building measured 1880 by 464 feet, covering twenty acres. It was vividly painted inside and out in shades of buff, architectural details picked out in green bronze and gold, crimson, pearl, and several shades of green.

Inside, the center had a high ceiling with four towers connected by stairs, bridges, and one technological advance: an elevator. Fountains, which were not only aesthetic, but performed the function of cooling the air, separated the corridors.

Source:  The Encyclopedia of Philadelphia